The House of Refuge re-opened on the parking lot of Edmonton Cash Register just six days after the building they were leasing at 10339A – 95 Street was destroyed by fire. The fire broke out about 2:30 a.m. on Saturday, October 19, 2013 and swept through the old building. Nothing could be salvaged. The Mission was a complete loss.
At a special meeting October 22, 2013, building owner Thim Choy, met with the board members and other volunteers who work with the House of Refuge Mission to plan for the future.
Everyone was in agreement that we were to continue the Lords work and re-open to the public as soon as possible. Thim Choy offered the use of the parking area of Edmonton Cash Register which stands kitty corner to the former Mission site, on the south west corner of 103A Avenue and 95th Street.
Each night from 5 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. here is what is happening on the street – 365 days of the year:
• The Bible is read and the prayer happens before anything else
• Food is made available for the homeless, poor, and those that are challenged in this tough economy struggling to make ends meet
• Some nights there are chicken, sandwiches, soup, and coffee
• We have now also started handing out winter clothes as we know many of the homeless sleep outside and are dire need of warn clothing
• Prayer happens nightly for those individuals who seek deliverance from their addictions, poverty, or the everyday challenges of life. Many have accepted Jesus as their Lord and Savior
Even without a building 50-150 people attend the House of Refuge Mission each night. Our desire is to again serve as God would want us to serve and to preach the word each night and pray with his people.
King James Version (KJV)
35 I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive.
King James Version (KJV)
10 And if thou draw out thy soul to the hungry, and satisfy the afflicted soul; then shall thy light rise in obscurity, and thy darkness be as the noon day
We are actively seeking another building to re-establish our full Mission services in the Boyle Street area. We trust the Lord has a plan for Mission and we are patiently waiting while continuing to be his “Hands and Feet” on the street for the homeless.
If you know of any potential leads for our relocation or would like to assist in any way, please feel free to contact Bob at 780-465-4966
Donate on line by using the Link on the Website, or mail in your cheque or money order to the address below:
The House of Refuge Mission
P.O. Box 373
Canada T5J 2J6
Tax receipts are available upon request for donations and donations in kind.
For more information about the fire call Bob at 780 465-4966